[kwlug-disc] yeah, yeah, it's always *our* fault

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 4 23:38:40 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here is my take on this: Nothing can be taken at face value.
>
> I see several possibilities:
>
> A) Taken at face value the filing was written by someone not very
>  marketing savvy who without considering the current economic environment
> accepted that Microsoft is really loosing market share --> Unlikely.
>
> B) Microsoft wrote that to use it as precedent when accused to be a
> Monopoly. --> Plausible.
>
> C) Microsoft thinks that the slump is only due to the economy and expects
> to rebound when the economy recovers. They will use this filing to
> "demonstrate" how Windows 7 saved the day and took market share back from
> Linux. --> Highly probable.
>
> B) and C) together.

All these are good possibilities.

Also,

D) Companies are expected to disclose risks to current and potential
investors (e.g SEC filings). They tend to exaggerate them even. If they come
true, they say "told ya!", if they don't, then "all is well." This is
disclosure.

> I don't really know if the slump was the economy or if Free software is
> really hurting them (it's a very short time span for long term assumptions).
> What I know is that when MS wants to fight back he'll try to do it in their
> own terms.
>

>From what I have been reading, the economy is favoring open source, perhaps
as a cost savings measure. Companies like Red Hat are defying the trend and
growing.

On the other hand, Ghandi was right: first they ignore you, then they mock
you, then they fight you, then you win ...

> Raul Suarez
>
> Technology consultant
> Software, Hardware and Practices
> http://rarsa.blogspot.com/
> An eclectic collection of random thoughts

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com