[kwlug-disc] yeah, yeah, it's always *our* fault

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 23:15:24 EDT 2009

Here is my take on this: Nothing can be taken at face value.

I see several possibilities:

A) Taken at face value the filing was written by someone not very  marketing savvy who without considering the current economic environment accepted that Microsoft is really loosing market share --> Unlikely.

B) Microsoft wrote that to use it as precedent when accused to be a Monopoly. --> Plausible.

C) Microsoft thinks that the slump is only due to the economy and expects to rebound when the economy recovers. They will use this filing to "demonstrate" how Windows 7 saved the day and took market share back from Linux. --> Highly probable.

B) and C) together.

I don't really know if the slump was the economy or if Free software is really hurting them (it's a very short time span for long term assumptions). What I know is that when MS wants to fight back he'll try to do it in their own terms.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/