[kwlug-disc] Open Source intro handout (Raul Suarez)

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 10:45:17 EDT 2009

I'm wondering if the draft you presented assumes too much knowledge of
what "Proprietary" software is? I would include a brief but clear
disambiguation between commercial Proprietary software,
freeware/shareware, and Free/Opensource software. Many people equate
freeware with free software when freeware is often proprietary. Below
is a quick example:

-----------
Proprietary software is most often thought of as commercial software
packages like Microsoft Windows or Adobe Photoshop, but also includes
"freeware" or "shareware." Proprietary software means the producer has
complete control over it's use; in cases like Microsoft and Adobe,
that control is used to sell copies (and discourage free
distribution). In the case of "freeware" or "shareware", the control
is often used for other purposes, such as hiding malicious functions,
or restricting it's usefulness until you purchase the "deluxe"
edition.

OpenSource software, on the other hand, means the developers have
essentially "signed off" most restrictions on it's use. Sharing is
encouraged and users often contribute back by providing technical
assistance, translations, new features or word of mouth advertising.

I agree that the distinction between OpenSource and Free Software is
to subtle for this type of introduction, but many people get software
for $Free in one way or another. It should be clear that OpenSource is
a special case, very distinct from freeware or pirated software.
_______
Regards,
Jason Locklin, B.Sc. Hons.
University of Waterloo