[kwlug-disc] Rogers SSH

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Apr 18 12:24:51 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Jason Low <jaaaaayyyyy at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > Is it me or has Rogers blocked all incoming SSH traffic.  As far as I can
> tell
> > I have everything configured correctly.  I use it for remote command line
> and
> > NX desktop but I read its being used for P2P.
>
> Hard to say. Have you tried putting SSH on a port other than 22? Try
> something
> above 1024, like say 22222. Should be a one-line change in your sshd.conf.
>
> Then when you try to connect remotely, remember to specify the port number.

That is exactly what I do, not because Rogers blocks it, but because it
makes your site far more secure and immune to the ssh probes that check for
weak passwords.

I normally pick a number in the 4 digit range, above 2000. Just open that
port in your router in the NAT setup and you are done.

The confusing part is that for ssh, you use the -p2222 option, and for scp
you use the -P2222 option (lower vs. upper). Once you get used to it, it is
easy.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.