[kwlug-disc] what is the probable cause of mail downloading being painfully slow?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Dec 31 15:02:47 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 07:52 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > >   tried that, didn't make any difference, still a horrendous time
> > > lag between messages.

I'm assuming you don't have anything odd in /etc/resolv.conf as there
was no difference when using "no dns"

> > MTU issue?  What's tcpdump tell you as you're downloading a few?
>
>   here's what seems to be a pattern.  fetching mail will work just
> fine after i've set up my laptop on someone's network.  when i shut
> down and move to someone else's network (say, dropping by to visit
> someone and latching onto their home wireless), there's a non-zero
> chance that fetching mail will now have that horrid time lag between
> fetches, *unless* i simply restart the system.  then, chances are
> everything is just fine.

Perhaps compare the output of ipconfig before and after the reboot.
Also, do you have any strange entries in your routing table? (Here is
mine as an example. Sorry about the wrapping)

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0
eth0
default         ciaw.chrisirwin 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>