[kwlug-disc] Continued: OpenSource Me!]

Dave Cramer davec at visibleassets.com
Tue Dec 23 06:52:27 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 12/22/08, Insurance Squared Inc. <gcooke at insurancesquared.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My personal need is for the database to run on a local linux server
> > and access it via browser.  Super easy, I create the specs and our
> > developer whips it up in php/mysql.
>
> You might be surprised at how far you can go with this. Your situation
> reminds me of the Oscar McMaster project, which is an open-source
> medical system I am wrestling with. The target market is doctors,
> who are not so tech-savvy and most of whom do not do any development.
> But an ecosystem of service providers has sprung up around Oscar setup
> and deployment.

Oscar is one of the worst run open source projects. Please don't use it as
an exemplar
There are multiple committers who inform each other of their commits after
breaking the code.
If my doctor used this software I'd change doctors!

> Having said that, doctors are accustomed to paying through the nose to
> outfit their offices, and it sounds like your target market is not.
>

> Java might also be an option here. Oscar McMaster is a Tomcat app (not
> that I endorse this... getting this thing to run has been hideous).

That is not a java/tomcat problem, that is the projects problem. There are
many ways to make this run "out of the box"

Oscar has no mandate to make this easy to run.

Dave