[kwlug-disc] OpenSource Me!

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri Dec 19 15:39:58 EST 2008

Well in terms of the support, I'd be building it primarily for our
office. So I'd be using it and developing it for use within our
offices.  So bugfixes would get done anyway.

In my niche, I don't expect to have a lot of folks take up the banner
and work on the code.  It'll be me or nobody.  This won't be an
opensource project so much as my making the code available free.  I
suspect that happens in small niches like mine - it's not going to go in
front of anyone who even knows what opensource is.  They'll only see
free or not.

In terms of using something else, I did reasonably extensive checking
around earlier this year.  The only thing decent and opensource was
Sugar, which I'm now discarding.  All the other pro level packages are
closed source.  Trust me, starting from scratch isn't what I want to do,
as I noted, I've declined to take on this project in the past.  I'm only
doing so now because I need it.  So since I'm building it anyway, I can
keep it internal, opensource it, or charge for it.