[kwlug-disc] General Thunderbird development ?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Fri Dec 19 11:14:16 EST 2008

We looked at this once and thought that incorporating a script on the email server could watch messages pass through and attach the messages automatically. The issue with this is that it captures useless emails.

Thunderbird does use XUL (pronounced zool, there is only XUL ;) as a result you can write addins reasonably simply to add buttons to you message pane and right click menu (as well as other places). This could be used to attach messages to a client record. That means that the client rep would have to manually attach each email. The attach could use http commands to connect to your db and add the records. Add authentication as desired.

Further xul allows for full gui experience and so you can program an interface to your crm to provide some functions.

I'm not sure how you would do contacts. Ldap seems like too much trouble to implement in php.