[kwlug-disc] Fw: [About KWLUG] Joint Cooperation

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Dec 11 15:03:10 EST 2008

On 11 Dec 2008 at 8:30, Raul Suarez wrote:

>The formality is most likely cultural. Without too much contact with
>the external world, they are cautious on how they approach people.
>e.g. notice how most of new immigrants are much more apologetic when
>we are fresh off the boat.
>

>Responding with the same level of formality will only create a wall.

However, if the formality is cultural then responding in a casual manner may  be perceived
as rude.  Even worse, if the correspondent finds out that informality is the norm, he may
think that WE thought him rude for being inappropriately formal.

I was brought up speaking Dutch, where there are two forms of "you" and "your":  the
formal "U" and "Uw" (always capitalized), and the informal or familiar "jij" and "jouw".
Even today, after more than 40 years or being immersed in North American culture I feel a
slight sense of unease when speaking Dutch and using the informal terms.

>One important thing though. While responding in a casual tone, we must
>avoid using ambiguous words as we cannot assume familiarity with
>colloquial English.

Also, I'd make sure to point out that we welcome his message, mention the informality of
KWLUG, and that we welcome him and his organization to participate in KWLUG. As well as
all the things John mentioned.

--Bob.