[kwlug-disc] Fw: [About KWLUG] Joint Cooperation

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 11:30:20 EST 2008

John's response is quite comprehensive. I would like to point something, though.

The formality is most likely cultural. Without too much contact with the external world, they are cautious on how they approach people. e.g. notice how most of new immigrants are much more apologetic when we are fresh off the boat.

Responding with the same level of formality will only create a wall.

One important thing though. While responding in a casual tone, we must avoid using ambiguous words as we cannot assume familiarity with colloquial English.

I think they are just starting and they are willing to learn what other people are doing.

e.g maybe they are a bunch of geeks that talk about FOSS and they think LUGs around the world are more formal.

maybe they are a group of professionals that are used to a lot of structure and they don't understand well how a bunch of people do certain tasks just because they volunteer to do them without any body else telling them.

Maybe they already have everything figured out and just want to exchange experiences.

I suggest responding exactly what they are asking.

1. How are our meetings organized. Regular meetings, with open Topic selection, Casual environment
2. The value we've found on having a portal (kwlug.org)
3. How here we have different groups (sometimes cross pollinated) with different focus. e.g. perl users group, Waterloo developers, KWLUG, Ontario Linux Fest, Profesional companies e.g. NetDirect, etc.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/