[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: gLabels, GNU Parallel Part 2 (Feb 2024)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 4 00:08:46 EST 2024

Fasten your belt-seats. Februrary is here. Let us enjoy two
lovingly-handcrafted presentations together.

John Driezen brings us our first lovingly-handcrafted presentation: a
beginner-friendly walkthrough of gLabels, a program optimized for
(surprise!) printing labels on those sticker sheets. John will lead us
through a number of examples of how to use the program. If you have
been looking for a way to send Christmas letters more effectively (or
looking to organize your collection of VHS tapes?) then gLabels is the
program for you.

Our second lovingly-handcrafted presentation comes to us all the way
from the Philippines. During our January presentation, Andrew Cant led
us through a (somewhat raucous) tutorial on GNU Parallel, which you
can watch here: https://kwlug.org/node/1365 . That was secretly in
preparation for this month, in which GNU Parallel maintainer Ole Tange
will lead us through some advanced usages of the tool. To get the most
out of this presentation, Ole recommends that you familiarize yourself
with the tool (the playlist at
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL284C9FF2488BC6D1 is a reasonable
start) and bring your questions and use-cases with you.

In other news, our next restaurant meetup will be held a week Monday,
on Feb 12. McCabe's Kitchener has mysteriously closed, so this month
we are trying out McCabe's Waterloo location, at 44 King St N.
See https://kwlug.org/node/1364 for more information. As always,
RSVPing to dinner at kwlug.org is helpful, but not mandatory.

Also as usual, we are on the lookout for presentations. Ole Tange will
be joining us this month because an intrepid KWLUG member who uses GNU
Parallel reached out and asked. You can be an intrepid KWLUG member
too! You can present something that you are currently excited about,
or maybe the maintainer of your favorite FLOSS project would be
interested in speaking? If so, reach out to us (to me personally, to
the kwlug-disc mailing list, or via the website's contact page).

Well, that's February here at KWLUG World Headquarters. The meeting
will start at 7pm, and will be held simultaneously at
https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug and in-person at the Dana
Porter Library at the University of Waterloo, room LIB 329.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop