[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: grassRoots History, Umbrel (May 2023)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 29 18:11:35 EDT 2023

Given the weather we have been having, these May flowers are going to
be great! (I'm not going to make an umbrella pun, am I? oh no.) But
one can't spend the entire month looking at flowers. Sometimes other
pasttimes beckon, and getting acquainted about our history is one of
them. By popular demand local tech history nerd Kevin Stumpf will
revisit a talk he gave to KWLUG 10 years (!) ago. Entitled "A
grassRoots History of Hi-tech in KW", Kevin offers a wealth of
knowledge about many of the early industries and companies that led to
this region flourishing as a hub of technological innovation. (No, it
wasn't all Research in Motion, kids.) Even if you were a member 10
years (!) ago and attended Kevin's talk then, you will no doubt find
new things to appreciate. (Also, this time we are hoping to get good
video of the presentation.)

Our other talk this month is about Umbrel, which is kind of like an
apps store for servers. With Umbrel, you can run all kinds of services
quicky and easily. Bob B got into it because he wanted to pay podcast
creators, and he has found a number of interesting uses for it. He
will tell us all about them this month.

In other news, I am going to use announcer's privilege to plug another
local-history event not directly related to FLOSS: Jane's Walk
weekend, which happens from May 5 to 7 this year. There is an
activisty backstory behind Jane's Walks and Jane Jacobs, but the
summary is that these events are walking tours of the region that
often touch on local history. If you are looking for an excuse to
finally get outside and see some May flowers, this may be the event
for you. You can see a listing of this year's walks at
https://janeswalkwr.com/2023-walks/

In other other news, we are looking for a physical meeting space. We
had plans for one, but those plans have fallen through. If you have
some leads on spaces that would be available for our use in the
evening during our meeting nights then please get in touch. Ideally
these spaces would have good access to internet, be accessible in the
KW area, be available for cheap (or free?), have access to some
parking, and seat at least 25 people comfortably and safely. You might
belong to a community group or workplace that could offer space, or
you might have other leads. If so, please get in touch by sending me
an email or using the contact form on our website. We are going to
continue online meetings for the time being, and the hope is to have
hybrid meetups if/when we go back in person, but clearly people are
interested in a physical space.

In other other other news, I believe there are plans for a May
restaurant meetup, but I don't have the details. (Oof. Sorry.) Keep an
eye on our mailing list (kwlug-disc), our website, or our Mastodon
account for updates about this.

Once again, our May meeting will be held online:

https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug

We will try to open the virtual doors around 6:45pm or so. We hope to
see you there.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org