[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Shorewall, FWBuilder (Aug 2022)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 5 23:36:23 EDT 2022

Monday is Firewall Day at KWLUG. Even in these days of Cloud
Everything, it can still be sensible to have a firewall so you can
keep some network traffic in your network and other network traffic
out. Unfortunately, firewalls can be complicated! Fortunately, there
are different tools to make them easier.

Lori Paniak will tell us about Shorewall, which is a high-level
configuration-file based tool intended to make iptables usable while
remaining flexible and powerful.

Bob B will show us a graphical tool called FWBuilder that allows you
to configure files across platforms (!). If you ever have to manage
multiple firewalls across different systems, FWBuilder may be the tool
for you.

In other news, did you know about our discussion list kwlug-disc? For
some reason it has been hopping lately with nostalgic discussions of
Wordperfect and the lc command. You can subscribe here:

As usual, our meeting will start at 7pm. As always, part of our
announcements will be soliciting presentations, so if you have ideas
for things you (or others!) might want to present, or ideas for things
you (or others!) might want to see, bring them along or get in touch
directly.

For now, our meetings will continue to be held virtually:

https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug

At some point we will likely switch, but maybe not for a few months
yet. So feel free to invite your friends from far-flung lands like
Montreal or British Columbia.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org