[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Command Line Carnival

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Aug 11 01:24:07 EDT 2007

** This announcement message has been rated M for Most Mailing
Recipients. Contains nerdly scenes and frightening alliteration.**

 	Yes, as summer winds down and the MPAA makes its final attempts to
use up our entertainment dollars before Labour Day, we've got a KWLUG
meeting, and along with it a blockbuster cascade of command line
creations. This set of presentations has been unscientifically formulated
to be suitable for a wide range of command-line customers, from catechumen
to connoisseurs.

 	This special one-night production stars John Van Ostrand, who has
earned rave reviews for his knowledge of network piping and diagnostic
tools (strace, tcpdump, hexdump, ldd, ls -lu). John will follow up this
virtuoso performance with a suave introduction to package querying using
rpm. The second feature will be a low-budget production by me, a
documentary entitled "Three Ways to Rename Files from the Command Line".

 	Also, be on the lookout for a SECRET SPECIAL PRESENTATION on
interesting aspects of the wc command, presented by a SECRET SPECIAL
PRESENTER.

 	This cavalcade commences at 7:00pm.

 	If movie analogies are not your idea of a good time, perhaps you
can curl up with a good book from the LUG library? Or you can lighten the
load in your wallet by making a donation to the KWLUG FLOSS Fund. The
featured project this month is Software in the Public Interest
(http://www.spi-inc.org), an organization which serves as a legal and
financial umbrella organization for a number of free software projects,
including the Debian distribution. Last month conscientious contributers
collected $56.70 for openstreetmap.org

 	Or perhaps you're tired of staring at screens and book pages and
your wallet? Then maybe you would enjoy the face-to-face excitement of a
real live Ontario Linux Fest on October 13? Certain KWLUG members are
pouring their hearts and souls into making this conference fantastic, and
registration is now open. See http://onlinux.ca for more info.

 	We'll be screening our meeting at the usual theatre:

The Working Centre
43 Queen Street South
(Between King and Charles Streets)
Kitchener

 	Assuming a certain somebody does not break the website tonight,
pictures and maps are available from http://kwlug.org

- Paul

--
Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday August 14, 7pm