[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: IPCop (and RMS on Friday!)

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jul 5 23:29:21 EDT 2007

 	Dear Rock-n-Rollers,

 	Since when was July supposed to be a slow month? There's so much
going on this month I feel like I'm at some summer rock festival,
surrounded by muddy hipsters and screaming teenaged girls.

 	On the main stage is our usual KWLUG meeting, this Monday we'll be
holding our July meeting. Joe will be telling us all about IPCOP, a
task-based firewall distribution aimed for home and small business use. It
can be used to filter out bad guys, set up Virtual Private Networks, and
more. Joe will show us how to set up an IPCop and configure ut over the
web. This presentation will begin at 7pm.
 	There will be no formal Newbie Night activities at 6pm this month.
However, there will likely be nerdly chatting, computer troubleshooting
and general discussion.

 	In addition, to the main event, there's lots happening on the side
stages. Among the most exciting are two upcoming talks being organized by
the Computer Science Club at the University of Waterloo.

 	On July 6 (that's this Friday!) Free Software Foundation
founder Richard M. Stallman will be giving a talk entitled "Copyright vs.
Community in the Age of Computer Networks". This talk will be held at the
University of Waterloo in the Arts Lecture Hall, room 116 at 4:30pm. This
talk is free as in beer.

 	On July 17, C++ designer Bjarne Stroustrup will be giving entitled
"C++0x - An Overview", which will cover new features coming in the C++
programming language. This talk will also be held the Arts Lecture Hall,
room 116, but it will begin at 7:00pm. This talk is also free, but
probably not free as in free() (or delete).

 	You can find out more about these talks by visiting
http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/events/

 	As if this wasn't enough, some KWLUG members are also involved in
organizing the first (annual?) Ontario Linux Fest (at http://onlinux.ca).
The conference is not until October, but they have already lined up some
good speakers and registration is now open. They are also looking for
papers and volunteers.

 	And that's not all! From July 20 to 23rd is the annual ICFP
programming contest, and LUG member Brad Smith is looking to put together
an amazing team of adventurous programmers to participate. You can learn
more about the contest by visiting http://www.icfpcontest.org/ , and you
can get in touch with Brad by emailing bnsmith at gmail.

 	Now that we've lost the rock show analogy, let's turn to the merch
table and report on the FLOSS Fund. Last month we raised $87.57 for
Drupal, and this month we are raising money for the fine folks at
OpenStreetMap.org, who are taking on the humble task of voluntarily
MAPPING THE ENTIRE WORLD! (A presentation on OpenStreetMap should be
coming sometime this year.)

 	As always, our usual meeting will be rocking at the Working
Centre:

The Working Centre
43 Queen Street South
(Between King and Charles)
Kitchener

 	There are maps (although not OSMs...) and pictures on our website.
You can park your groovy VW van in the back lot after 6pm for free, and
park your groovier tie-dyed bicycle at the bike racks always.

- Paul

--
Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday July 10, 7pm