[kwlug-disc] cloud-init -- topic for QA for someone with experience, however minimal

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 08:17:14 EDT 2021

I have to agree with Lori on this ("filter the cursing").

When I set up my PXE server at home using Ubuntu Server 18.04 I ran
into fewer issues than setting it up on Ubuntu Server 20.04. One of
the things mentioned in the docs is that if you use the live
interactive installer once a file is created
/var/log/installer/autoinstall-user-data. This autoinstall-user-data
file can apparently be then used to create an automated install by
copying it as cloud-init-bios/user-data. In Ubuntu Server 18.04 this
worked flawlessly, but the same thing in Ubuntu Server 20.04 resulted
in a bunch of segfaults. I removed a bunch of lines in the user-data
file and managed to get an automated install going, but it was more
painful than 18.04 and still a work in progress for me on 20.04.