[kwlug-disc] recommendation for home router

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Jul 14 15:16:26 EDT 2021

Thanks Khalid.

lspci lists my wifi card as "Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200".

Wi-Fi 5 == 802.11ac
Wi-Fi 6 == 802.11ax (2.4 or 5 MHz)
Wi-Fi 6E == 802.11ax (6 MHz)
The WRT3200ACM has 802.11ac == WiFi 5.

I'll want newer hardware. Here are the WiFi 6 routers supported by OpenWRT:
https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128_ax-wifi

So I think I want a Linksys E8450
https://www.linksys.com/ca/wireless-routers/traditional-routers/linksys-dual-band-ax3200-wifi-6-router-e8450/p/p-e8450/

PS, I also checked freshtomato, which is supposed to be easier to use than OpenWRT, and also quite stable, but they do not support any Wi-Fi 6 routers.

Doug Moen.