[kwlug-disc] ncurses file selection tool

Steve Izma sizma at golden.net
Mon Jan 25 11:36:22 EST 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:34:03AM -0500, William Park via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] ncurses file selection tool
>
> Try editing a directory, like
>     vim .

I frequently use this feature, usually for selecting a set of
files on which I want to perform batch actions. I open an
additonal buffer (so that I have two vim windows between which I
can move with the Ctl-W functions), copy the files I want from
the directory buffer, then paste them into the new buffer. I then
edit the new buffer as a shell script.

This is also convenient if you're editing an HTML file that needs
links to other files within the hierarchy. You can gather the
filenames you need from the directory buffer then paste them into
the href clauses in an HTML file, thereby avoiding the
treacherous need to type in each filename.

    -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
I have always felt the necessity to verify what to many seemed a
simple multiplication table.
	-- Ilya Ehrenburg (Soviet author and critic; he's not
	   talking about mathematics)