[kwlug-disc] GMail, profile photo, and privacy: HOW'd it DO that?!?

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Jan 21 17:37:28 EST 2021

>> - Have your parents ever emailed to your quoted address from their
>> google phone, or may be even their gmail account?
>
> Yes.
>

>> - Have your parents ever gave your address to someone else, relative,
>> friend, "possible help with computer needed"?
>
> Possibly.
>

> Yet neither situation makes sense to pull their profile pic in as mine.

This is a "neural nets is not an intellect" part. For us it makes no
sense, but for that process that must always produce output, it produced
the best it found.

I read it second time, and want to highlight "must produce output" part.
NN will always give results. The intelligent question is "what kind of
result this is?".

> Might as well select a profile pic at random, at least it's more
> likely to be a single person in the photo.
>

> It seems there's either a big bug or a huge privacy invasion has been
> uncovered here, and I just don't know what to do to get it "out there"
> to a wider discussion where it can blow up or be explained.

Have I pointed you to that thing about government. Cause this thing with
commercial entity is nothing in comparison to proving to government
something, when it decides to trust neural nets.