[kwlug-disc] ncurses file selection tool

Steve Izma sizma at golden.net
Thu Jan 14 13:49:17 EST 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:52:13PM -0500, Doug Moen wrote:
> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] ncurses file selection tool
>
> Open a new buffer.
>     :r ls
>
> The benefit of this technique is that it is Turing complete. I
> can accomplish anything. I don't have to learn a new tool, and
> I don't run into the limitations that high level tools usually
> suffer from.

I concur with this method. I've used something like this for a
long time, especially to move or rename large numbers of image
files from a camera to different directory locations and with
more useful names. My feeling is just that vi has the best tools
for manipulating text, which is what such bulk commands are all
about.

    -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
I have always felt the necessity to verify what to many seemed a
simple multiplication table.
	-- Ilya Ehrenburg (Soviet author and critic; he's not
	   talking about mathematics)