[kwlug-disc] Problem with Linux Mint 20 Automounting Drives

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 23:02:54 EST 2021

No specific recommendations for you, but I thought I would share an
experience. This --
- Host laptop = Thinkpad W540 decently tricked out and sporting a USBB3
Sandisk Nano 256G USB stick stuck in the side
- W540 ran Mint Cinnamon 20 well enough, but will throw up a
fast-disappearing gargly message saying something to the effect of "can't
whatever whatever to whatever-bus after being "suspended". This happens
after waking from a SUSPEND. Problem does not happen from a cold boot
- The USB 256Gigger does not automount after waking from sleep, popping
into gnome-disk-utility(aka DISKS in Mint), shows the drive, attempts to
mount the drive throws out a message, something along the lines of "drive
not ready". This problem does not exist when starting up the laptop from a
cold boot.
- Upgrading(a couple of days ago) to Mint 20.1 -- no diff same issues.
- This past Sunday, blow the drive away, clean load Mint 20.1 and apply all
updates. No error messages being thrown up about coming alive from
SUSPEND,  Sandisk USB stick always automounts  when laptop comes up from
SUSPEND or a cold boot.

My daughter killed many hours dealing with this(her messing-around laptop)
and found that the baremetal Mint 20.1 solved all her issues,
Also, she is a fiend about rebooting after applying updates and installing
her own suite of apps.

Mebbe some of the above might be helpful to you?

Thanks,

Ron S.