[kwlug-disc] Unattended upgrades - what is your experience and attitude

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sun Aug 8 05:37:52 EDT 2021

On Sun, Aug 08, 2021 at 12:07:49AM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Do you use unattended upgrades? If yes, was it always ok? If no, what is
> your approach instead.

I use it.  Never had a problem with it, and the default install
has sane configurations.  So far, it's been win-win.

It does not upgrade everything, so you do need to periodically upgrade
manually, but for things like a webserver bug on a public facing
server, usually the critical stuff has already been installed and
running for some time before I get there.

> Asking after cleaning up after unattended apt upgrade of docker.io.

I use the upstream docker-ce repos, which do not automatically upgrade.
Docker has enough moving parts that I like to do upgrades on a test
machine before things go live on production.

What happened with docker.io?

- Chris