[kwlug-disc] OpenHAB vs. Home-Assistant

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 28 22:47:10 EDT 2021

I have been using Home Assistant for a few years, and like the
functionality and configurability.

Recently though, there has been changes that bother me. Specifically, they
required Python 3.8, while Raspbian stable has only 3.7. They are also
moving away from installations that are based on a Python venv, and pushing
users towards a docker image instead.

The next version on Raspbian may be out this coming summer, and I think it
will have Python 3.8.  But the effort to rebuild may be daunting (rather
than just update, as I am used to with Ubuntu for some 12+ years).

If I am going to do a fresh install anyway, then I might as well go to
something that respects the way Linux distros are built, and not mandate an
image be downloaded.

OpenHAB has proper Debian/Armbian repositories.

Anyone uses OpenHAB around here?
What about Armbian? On which boards?

Thanks ...
--