[kwlug-disc] Mailing list question(s)

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Thu Apr 22 12:21:07 EDT 2021

Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote on 2021-04-19 5:47 p.m.:

> As Doug suggested, you have to run through some hoops for Yahoo.

After setting up SPF, DKIM, DMARC, and SNI TLS, the final issue to
resolve sending to Yahoo (& Shaw) was an rDNS record.

> Yes, I set the footers manually:
> In Non-digest options -> msg footer, I set:
>
> --

Great - I hadn't looked at anything labelled "digest" until you pointed
it out.  Footers added.

> I also have some settings to try and increase privacy:
>
> General Options
> - reply_goes_to_list : this list

That's an option that I fully support.

> - admin_member_chunksize: 500 (or higher)

This is just for "Maximum number of members to show on one page of the
Membership List" so I've left it at 30.

> Also, Mark Steffen and I discovered a bad attack on Mailman: spammers will subscribe their targets to the mailing list in the hopes that those targets will get flooded with spam. Here was the fix:
>
> other people have the same issue
> https://www.ralfj.de/blog/2018/06/02/mailman-subscription-spam.html
> - Set SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET in the subscription form
> - Set SUBSCRIBE_FORM_MIN_TIME . Default is 5 seconds.

Happy to inform that SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET is now a default-enabled
setting (mailman 2.1.29 on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS).

Thanks for the excellent tips!

rb