[kwlug-disc] MX Linux - is it good to install on a laptop

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Wed Apr 14 03:35:02 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-13 9:50 p.m., Mingde (Matthew) Zeng wrote:

> Feel free to check the Arch Wiki, it is arguably the best wiki on Linux you can find on the internet: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop/Lenovo
>
> Since you're new to Linux, I won't recommend you the Arch Linux, but I do recommend an Arch-flavored distro, such as Manjaro, it is pretty beginner-friendly too.
>
> The biggest advantage of using an Arch-flavored distro is that, besides the fact that you have the entire Arch Wiki at your disposal, you also get access to AUR - Arch User Repository, that will ease your pain with installation of *many* programs and software that you'll very likely to encounter in the future.

I've been using Manjaro here for the past 6 months, and I'll have to
disagree that it's a good choice for a new users.... vehemently.

The Arch wiki is indeed one of the greatest documentation resources
currently available..  As for the distro itself, however, the rolling
release of desktop apps has frequently brought new severe bugs,
(especially to KDE.),, and the AUR is a wasteland of broken scripts that
don't successfully build the package as often as not... honestly, I have
better success building software from source the old fashioned way.  In
no way does the AUR compare to the vast resources of Ubuntu packages for
new users, (including the PPA's), so I would suggest Linux Mint for new
users.  (though MX linux is also a solid choice, and currently my
favorite distro overall.  It has great tools that no one else has.)