[kwlug-disc] Left shift + space does not work

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 9 15:13:06 EDT 2021

Here is a mystery that may be failing hardware, or may be something
else.

A few days ago my laptop went crazy. It started producing a lot of
"Print Screen" keypresses for no reason. That in turn would bring up
my screenshot software, making it tough to do anything. I removed the
screenshot software and unassociated the shortcut, and since then
things improved.

Now I notice another problem: if I am holding the left shift key and
press space, nothing happens. I looked at what xev reports, and it
notes that the left shift is being pressed, but does not register the
space bar at all.

If I press right-shift + space then it works. Space bar works. Left
shift works for capitalizing letters and for all other keys.

My keyboard layout is set to 105 key US layout "pc105". I am not
sure whether this is right or not. There are French Canadian symbols
on some of the keys, which I believe are accessed via function key.

I am confident that I used to be able to hold down left shift and
press space. Maybe I messed something up when my keyboard went crazy.
Maybe there is imminent hardware failure. Maybe something else is
going on. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot and
fix this?

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org