[kwlug-disc] Fw: Looking for colo facility suggestions

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Oct 8 09:42:24 EDT 2020

I am a total noob in racking servers. I long for explicit clarity about
KiloWatts:

  - What KW's your GPU rack is using as 90%-tile?

  - How many KW's of heat vendor guarantees to take out, if all racks
produce this amount of heat?

  - Does vendor tell you this info?

Implicit human assumption may be that total power available in a rack,
if used, will be dissipated by cooling. Something tells me that even
implicit assumption may be missing from SLA'a. (reminder to read 'em.)

  - Do you have to space racks out, if they consume all of given power
(e.g. GPU's)?

It be nice to hear both consumed and energy and ability to absorb it in
same nominal units, like KW's, as these are same energy per time, units
of power.

Super-cooled DC is super implicit. What are explicit numbers?

(It happens that I write code that implicitly means the right thing, but
it never convinces the machine. :) )

On 2020-10-07 6:03 p.m., Charlie Drage wrote:
> Off-ish topic. Has anyone had an experience hosting a high temp multi
> GPU rack server at NPlus or any nearby data center? The problem I'm
> having is constant high temperatures with my cluster.
>
> So looking for a super-cooled DC.
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 18:00 Jonathan Poole <jpoole at digitaljedi.ca
> <mailto:jpoole at digitaljedi.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Francisco is pretty awesome. I’d concur with that
>
>     Sent from my iPhone
>
>     > On Oct 7, 2020, at 6:58 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca
>     <mailto:lists at alteeve.ca>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Excellent news, thanks.
>     >
>     >> On 2020-10-07 5:25 p.m., Charlie Drage wrote:
>     >> Just replied ^^. If Fibernetics took over, I'd suggest giving
>     them a
>     >> try. Francisco is a networking guru.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 17:24 Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca
>     <mailto:lists at alteeve.ca>
>     >> <mailto:lists at alteeve.ca <mailto:lists at alteeve.ca>>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >>    It's who we're strongly leaning towards. Can you elaborate
>     on your past
>     >>    experience?
>     >>
>     >>>    On 2020-10-07 1:29 p.m., Charlie Drage wrote:
>     >>> Super delayed reply.
>     >>>
>     >>> But whatever you do, do NOT host at Rack & Data.
>     >>>
>     >>> I had nothing but problems (I was there for 3 years).
>     >>>
>     >>> --
>     >>> Charlie Drage
>     >>> PGP - 4096R/C037D617
>     >>> GPG / Encrypted Communication: charliedrage.com/contact
>     <http://charliedrage.com/contact>
>     >>    <http://charliedrage.com/contact>
>     >>>
>     >>> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 3:06 PM Andrew Sullivan Cant
>     >>> <acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca <mailto:acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
>     <mailto:acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
>     <mailto:acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca>>> wrote:
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Now this got be curious if anyone has a list of all the data
>     >>    centres in
>     >>>> the region.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> A quick search found this list, which has some:
>     >>>> https://www.datacentermap.com/canada/waterloo/
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Which includes
>     >>>> * DataCity
> [...]