[kwlug-disc] Topics for Monday's meeting

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:30:43 EDT 2020

Good idea.
I have some questions that may elicit scoffs or rolling of the eyes, but I
am as dumb as a stump and half as pretty, so here goes --

1 - this is more of a need for a newbie tutorial(?), but I have a rough
time having OSes in VMs(Virtualbox 5.2.x and 6.1.x) accessing my USB ports.
      A tutorial would be good, although I am sure there are tutorials on
YT, I haven't checked,

2 - A discussion on dealing with the huge # of passwords we have these
days(I am up to 328), other than using a tool such as Bitwarden. I like the
idea of saving my 328 *partial* passwords and logins on a regular text file
and even on hardcopy, and also saving them as my regular(but incomplete
passwords) on Firefox. When it is time to login somewhere, FF has my
credentials with a partial password and I type in my 9-character
completion. Question is, what am I doing wrong with this technique? My
9-character "completion" is an absurd string that is indelibly stamped in
my brain and mirrored in a poem with the cipher held by my wife.

3 - LibreElec/Kodi for media playback. I hear terms like "sickbeard" and
such from the cool kids. What I would like to have is some insight as to
the right combo of OS/DE/Apps that can be stuck on a lowly Thinkpad T520 i7
laptop w/ a 128G mSATA SSD and 2 pcs of  1TB Hitachi HDD(one is in the
optical bay) for a real fine media playback unit. The media is mostly
torrented H.265 stuff with some Amaz Prime. No Netflix or other paid
services need to be supported. Of course, streaming YT media too which I
would likely do in a browser anyway unless there is a YT app in Kodi that
does it better.

4 - I don't use desktops, haven't done so since 2005, much preferring
laptops. I use TLP for tuning power use. I want better than just TLP. What
combination of tools are needed to have meaningful increases of battery
life? And especially running cooler? My world is non-stop Thinkpads, but I
would think any solution(s) would be applicable to Dells, HPs and the like?

Feel free to send a virtual slap my way and tell me to go google it or
watch some YT tutorials and I will slink away quietly.

Thanks,

Ron S.