[kwlug-disc] RMS talk hosted by UW CSC tomorrow

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Nov 27 20:08:08 EST 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 06:26:47PM -0500, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> I want to see UofW administrators to start motion to move Canada away from
> monarchy. Nothing less. Seriously.

Settle down.  Railing against various forms of government is unproductive,
and won't fix the problem.  The magic labels of "republic" or "democracy"
don't make the people involved any better.  Just look south to see that.

Let bad people pay for their own bad acts, and let's not distract ourselves
by attacking the mere government role.

I am Canadian, and I take offence when monarchy is blamed for our ills,
and when our ancestors are ridiculed for the choices they made in
challenging times.  We are no better than they.  Yes, John A MacDonald
loved the monarchy, but he had his reasons, and we have benefited
from his work ever since.

Let's not move ancient boundary stones in a tantrum.

- Chris