[kwlug-disc] Historical correction

Steve Izma sizma at golden.net
Fri Mar 13 21:14:03 EDT 2020

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 06:55:11PM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Subject: [kwlug-disc] Historical correction
>
> Interesting correction of common historical statement
> https://youtu.be/QkmGfY9iY9Y?t=2822

Some people might wonder what the discussion in this video has to
do with technology. I'd say: virtually everything.

The relationship between public funding of tech research (not
just in universities but also state funding of research for the
private sector) is even more clearly delineated in a conversation
between Varoufakis and Noam Chomsky here:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIGZVrSAyc&t=817s> at about the
11:00 mark.

The point is that huge amounts of the public's taxes are invested
in tech (and other) research but the profits accrue to private
corporations. According to the theory of capitalism, it's the
investors that should be taking the profits.

But according to the F***ing Tories, it's those that invest in
power (i.e., party funders) that collect the winnings.

Just trying to connect things back to Mikalai original post --

	-- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
I have always felt the necessity to verify what to many seemed a
simple multiplication table.
	-- Ilya Ehrenburg (Soviet author and critic; he's not
	   talking about mathematics)