[kwlug-disc] Trace spam email back to source

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Jun 30 11:06:43 EDT 2020

Hi Yasin. In Gmail, there is an icon with 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner of the frame, when you are viewing an email message. Click on that icon to get a menu, then select "Show Original". The information you want (source IP address, etc) is there.

Your friend's email need not have been hacked in order for you to get this message. All the spammer needs to send this message is a copy of an contact list showing that you and your friend exchange email messages. It doesn't have to be sent from your friend's email server. Lots of mobile apps steal information from your address book and make the stolen information available to criminals. This could have happened to you, or your friend, or even somebody else in your social circle.