[kwlug-disc] OT: @WatcampEvents Twitter, feeds website

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 15 00:50:37 EST 2020

This is kind of OT, but you should be used to that by now.

Thanks to Andrew, we now have a Twitter bot that tweets out events
from the Watcamp calendar. It is @WatcampEvents.

So far it has two followers, at least one of whom is another bot.
Let's reclaim social media for human beings! If you are on Twitter and
want (occasional?) Watcamp events showing up there, friend the bot.
(Or are you supposed to invite it to join your network on Twitter? I
can never remember the right social media terminology.) You can help
spread the word, too. My secret hope is that there are 1000 people in
this region who would genuinely appreciate the events that Watcamp
publishes, and this Twitter bot is intended to help reach them.

Side question: what hours of the day are the best to send tweets if
you want human beings to see them?

Also, we also have working RSS feeds for Watcamp, and a few other data
sources I help curate. You can find them at my secret project website:
https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org . (Such a memorable hostname!) Those
of you with good memories might recognise recommendations for RSS and
iCal readers somewhere on that site.

As always, thanks to Mark Steffen for being generous with webhosting
space and email lists.

- Paul

--
Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp