[kwlug-disc] Interesting hardware: ARM, Ceph, server-per-hdd

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Dec 30 11:11:48 EST 2020

> I'd want ECC memory on the OSD nodes though, do these have that?

I've emailed  the rep. Memory is not ECC in ARM node of that server (
https://www.ambedded.com.tw/en/product/ceph-storage-appliance.html ).

They have certified Seagate 16TB EXOS series. So, yes, huge drive per
server with network as close as possible to data. Its almost good, just
needs ECC :( .

Now, price-wise, it is $6000, and in USD, spread over 8 disks.

ASRock's 1U, with 12HDD, dual 10G copper, AMD EPYC (
https://www.newegg.ca/asrock-rack-1u12xl-epyc-2t2e-amd-epyc-7002-7001-series-processor-family/p/N82E16816775009
) is $2,650 CAD. Adding from newegg.ca today prices, $700 CPU, memory,
system and journal SSDs, and HBA card, we'll have roughly $5,000 CAD,
spread over 12 disks.

Assuming that AMD EPYC is spelled with "throughput in bus", it may be
equivalent to switches in box with ARM servers.

Yes, ARM box has 300W max PSU, while ASRock has 700W max. With 50% more
disks in ASRock box, it should be 700W vs 450W comparison of max
ratings. (I know, real production readings are more useful.)