[kwlug-disc] Presentation requests: package formats, repository best practices

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 29 17:03:46 EST 2020

>> Building Curv on Windows might be an interesting opportunity to learn
>> Choclaty. [1]
>>
>> [1] https://chocolatey.org/
>
> Hmm, interesting. I haven't investigated Chocolatey. The next stage of my plan for Windows was to build a statically linked 'curv.exe' executable (no DLLs), and bundle that in a ZIP file with library  files, examples and documentation. And then make the ZIP file available for download from Github. The ZIP file would be built using a github actions script. There is some work to be done before Curv can be statically linked on Windows. The reason for static linking is that Curv is a command line tool, which your shell (cmd.exe, power shell, bash.exe) needs to locate in the PATH. I don't want to put Curv DLLs in the PATH to avoid conflicts with other software.
>
> More discussion here: https://github.com/curv3d/curv/issues/97

Thanks for the link. I will have a look at it.

Is TravisCI still working for you? Or would you consider switching to
Github Actions as suggested here?

>> This would be a library level package manager for the Curv language?
>> (e.g., I have a curv program that uses library x,y, and z. I add those
>> in my specification file, and then I can run "gpkg install" to install
>> all the libraries.)
>
> Yes.

Could you use either the go or Rust package manager out of this box?
The Ruby bundler system will also load package directly out of git
repositories using a Gemfile.

https://bundler.io/

(But I might also be biased, consider my default respond to many thing
is "Have you consider using Ruby"? :) )

Andrew