[kwlug-disc] Unexpected find of time syncing among hosts in Netdata

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat Dec 26 17:12:10 EST 2020

Time sync is very important for clustered services.
A ceph cluster I tend has NTP running on all systems in the cluster.
They sync to a trio of local stratum 1 systems that each have a GPS
sensor. This setup keeps clocks in the cluster to within 25ms of each other.
Public NTP is not going to give you much better than 100ms accuracy.

chrony is a promising replacement for ntp:
https://engineering.fb.com/2020/03/18/production-engineering/ntp-service/

High performance cluster applications (eg. MPI), typically take care of
their own synchronization down to microseconds:
https://mpitutorial.com/tutorials/mpi-broadcast-and-collective-communication/