[kwlug-disc] Interesting problem i had yesterday with Ubuntu

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Dec 14 17:12:09 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 5:07 PM R. Brent Clements <rbclemen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I just have to be more careful.  I have
> installed packages directly from .deb files, (at least Dropbox and possibly
> others), and the software that I was installing when it happened is the
> latest version of KiCAD from their repository.

If you install directly from .deb, then make sure that you install gdebi,
and use it to install the .deb.
That way, it will make sure that dependencies are installed too.

But that approach still suffers from suboptimal package discipline, and you
will still get surprises, at least when compared to the official Ubuntu
repos.