[kwlug-disc] about silicon

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sun Dec 13 13:57:47 EST 2020

> Beefing up the out of order execution prediction is definitely the
> main reason why the M1 SoC performs well - but this sort of execution
> can only be efficient if the instruction size remains constant, as is
> the case with RISC-only architechtures like ARM. This is where SGI
> MIPS was headed before they died.

Pipeline approach to design essentially partitions tasks that forces
speed-of-light sensitive things to be localized in regions, allowing
overall sprawl of silicon estate.

> The main takeaway here IMO is that now that Apple has demonstrated
> that a phone SoC can be beefed up to perform general-purposed
> computing well, we'll start seeing more of this hit the market in the
> workstation space.  And when those fast SoC systems start running
> Linux, developers will flock to them and that will accelerate the
> adoption of ARM in the cloud/datacenter.  Yes, Amazon has their nice
> Graviton platform, but without developers running ARM on their
> workstations, adoption of ARM in the cloud/datacenter is not going to
> gain a lot of traction.
>
> If Apple allowed Linux to run natively on their M1 SoC, it would
> actually be a game-changer in this space. But that would require they
> release their SoC documentation to the open source community, as well
> as digitally sign Linux boot components im their secure enclave
> (neither of which is likely because Apple is as closed as Oracle's
> wallet ;-)
>
> What I'm most interested in seeing in the coming years is what Nvidia
> is planning for ARM (no matter what they say, they definitely have a
> plan in mind if they bought ARM).

There is this new outpost of "make your RISC-V silicon" shop,
https://www.sifive.com/risc-v-core-ip They also seem to have whole
RISC-V board for sys devs.

May be this approach will open floodgates of choice, goodness, rainbows,
etc. :)