[kwlug-disc] macOS and 3rd party apps

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 22:48:27 EST 2020

To those that peek under the hood, the last few releases of macOS have
clearly shown how Apple is rapidly moving macOS to be a device-like
operating system that parallels iOS. Since the introduction of APFS, most
of the OS is on an immutable volume. But it's done in a horribly complex
way that defies any semblance of the core Unix principles of simplicity (
https://eclecticlight.co/2020/09/16/boot-volume-layout/). And Homebrew (the
poorly-implemented open source package manager) is regarded like the
hackintosh community in the eyes of Apple, who wants complete control over
their whole ecosystem. It really is a shame - about 15 years ago, OS X was
a decent Unix that was fairly open. Nowadays, it just feels like iOS on a
PC that you can't modify.  The Apple M1 looks decent, but since Apple no
longer lets you run Linux on their hardware, I have no desire to ever buy
one.