[kwlug-disc] Permissive vs copyleft licenses

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Dec 8 22:26:11 EST 2020

I agree that permissive licences are the standard now. I use Apache 2.0 for my project, and it's my favourite licence.

As for other projects, I'm not picky, I'll use any free or open source software, and the specific licence doesn't matter to me, as long as it is certified free or open. I hate all the licence wars on the internet. A lot of specious arguments about how some specific licence is insufficiently free, or incompatible with some other licence. The 3 most popular licences, MIT, Apache 2 and the GPLs, are all considered unacceptable to various large and well known projects, and I don't care any more.