[kwlug-disc] CentOS to become CentOS Stream

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Dec 8 18:24:45 EST 2020

I didn't realize that CentOS is now a wholy owned subsidiary of Red Hat. When the project began, they were an independent organization.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, at 5:31 PM, Ron Singh wrote:
> I wonder if they are essentially pushing CentOS users with production machines to get all kinds of licenced up with RedHat?
>
> As per their words --
> "If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet your needs,
> we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options."
>
> This comes across as, "hey you freeloaders, get over here and pay up!". Yeah? No?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron S.
>

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 4:21 PM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This announcement from CentOS is a bit troubling, if I'm reading it correctly...
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2020-December/048208.html
>>
>> To quote:
>>
>> The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next
year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of a
current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end
at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as
the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.