[kwlug-disc] Linux Based Firewalls

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Dec 1 13:33:38 EST 2020

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:21 PM Jon Thiele <jthiele at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've looked at a couple of hardware solutions but they all seem to be
> closed source solutions.  I also read any article that suggested
> running OpenWRT as an alternative to a PC based product.  Interesting...

I use OpenWRT, and it runs great.
My use case is not specifically firewall, but rather an open feature rich
router that I can easily manage.

The firewall features that I use work well, but they are minimal.

The nice thing is that you can run it on a low power tiny footprint device.

Check here to see if the features you need are there.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/firewall/start

Then see if any additional packages are needed. OpenWRT has a large list of
add on packages
for various things, including languages, databases, ...etc.

You will need a router than can run OpenWRT obviously. Check before you
buy.
There are some Linksys series that have more flash than the others, and
therefore should
be future proof.

Not cheap, but cheaper than a PC, and even cheaper if you buy them used.

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series