[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:53:55 EDT 2020

Yeah, I dig that a conversation is being had about laptops/desktops with
Linux pre-installed is a MAJOR milestone, especially when lenovo promises
to have it available over a wide variety of Thinkpads.
This fairly long YT vid hosted by a Jason E talking with Fedora & Lenovo
cats is highly informative and sends a really positive message that there
is hope that Linux as a choice can be had right out of the box.
See vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djScg13e-hs

I guess my thing is, why wait? Just grab any TPs or HP Zs made in the last
3-4 years and you are golden.

My daughter just loaded Mint 20 with the Mate  DE on an old Thinkpad X131e
i3 thing with 8G and a 250G SSD, only issue was the stock Broadcom wrls
card which she promptly ripped out and installed an Intel N6200
ABGN card lying around at my Waterloo office. Even on a basic 7yo 11.3" Edu
laptop, the current crop of Linux distros work decently enough, mem commit
on boot is a mere 430Meg, CPU hit at idle is about 3-4%. TLP installed gave
her a tad over 4 hours after a batt recondition(only 380 cycles on it). She
keeps BT turned off and screen dimming(to 20%) turned on after 90 sec of my
user activity. In my book, not bad at all.

Thanks,

Ron S.