[kwlug-disc] Internet shutdown in Belarus

Jon Champagne jon at jchampagne.ca
Thu Aug 27 15:40:37 EDT 2020

This was a pretty interesting read. VPNs for encrypting traffic so your carrier can't see seem to be becoming more and more important these days, with protests going on around the world, many with less publicity than what we're seeing in the States for instance. I personally hadn't heard of this particular incident in Belarus until today.

It makes me wonder what options there are out there for pure peer to peer communication. Right now practically everything I can think of relies on some infrastructure that the government would have it's hand in, from instant messaging apps going over the general internet to sms somewhat skipping the internet step but still using the phone infrastructure. Is there any Bluetooth based chat apps for instance? Or something else that doesn't rely on the normal internet and it's somewhat centralized infrastructure.

Thanks,
Jon