[kwlug-disc] Say No To Electronic Voting ...

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Aug 20 10:59:53 EDT 2020

The problem with Belarus is not the use of paper votes. The problem is the constitutional order, where power is vested not in the citizens, but in a strong-man president who is elected at infrequent intervals. This is a holdover from the era of kings, and it is a recipe for corruption, as has been seen repeatedly all over the world.

Once again, I urge you to consider the Swiss constitutional order.
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/x6hpkYyzMG6Bf8T3W/swiss-political-system-more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know-i

Switzerland does not have a strong-man president. Instead, it has a governing council of 7 people, nominated by different parties. The President role rotates between different council members, who each serve one year terms. The President's role is not a powerful one.

A conventional argument I've heard in favour of a strong-man president is that only a strong-man can quickly take the necessary decisions needed in a crisis. The reality is that Switzerland acted significantly more quickly than Canada or the United States in bringing in lock-down rules to deal with the pandemic, and they are now better off as a result.

Doug Moen.