[kwlug-disc] Best vpn

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Aug 5 15:08:52 EDT 2020

Also using PIA here, via their openvpn scripts. Integrates nicely with
the systemd openvpn unit (for a headless machine) and NetworkManager
(for my laptop if I need it)

I believe they also have wireguard support now as well, though I haven't
looked into that personally.

There's a white-label VPN provider that recently got "hacked", by which
their logs (that they "do not" keep) were kept in an unsecured, publicly
accessible database. They were marketed under a number of different
brands. You'll probably want to make sure you don't pick one of thsoe,
at least.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/17/ufo_vpn_database/

-- Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
   web: https://chrisirwin.ca

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 02:26:56PM -0400, Colin Mackay wrote:
>I use PIA as well.  It's running 24/7 on my pfsense router.  I tunnel
>traffic from specific internal IP's over it.
>
>On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:15 PM jason.eckert <jason.eckert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use Hotspot (only because I won free lifetime access to it over a decade
>> ago), and it's been very good. It's one of the oldest VPN providers I
>> believe.
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung device running Android (basically Linux in drag)

>>> Yasin