[kwlug-disc] Good RSS/iCal readers (all platforms)

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun Oct 20 18:04:12 EDT 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, at 08:06, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> I am working on a Secret Project, and as part of it I am trying to
> figure out the best ways to consume iCal and RSS feeds in this modern
> world.
>
> As I mentioned in my presentation I am using newsbeuter/newsboat for
> RSS. I do not have a good solution for iCal.

For RSS, I also use Tiny Tiny RSS. The android app allows me to keep a proper read state between desktop and phone. I've tried the Nextcloud "News" app, but it wasn't as nice.

ical subscriptions are important to me, as I rely on an ical feed to tell me when my garbage pickup is.

My email provider (fastmail) provides caldav and carddav services (which integrate in their web interface). I added third-party iCal feeds into the fastmail calendar "subscriptions", and they show up on the calendar view. Additionally, they're re-exported via caldav, so I have all calendar subscriptions available via a single point (for syncing on my phone, for example).

Nextcloud can do the same thing for ical, and seems to be pretty feature-competitive (assuming you set it up to send email).

I'm using DAVx5 to sync caldav to my android phone.

--
*Chris Irwin*

email: chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp: chris at chrisirwin.ca