[kwlug-disc] Assembling hardware RAID in mdadm

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 3 13:45:36 EDT 2019

I have a bad feeling I know the answer to this, but I wanted to
confirm my feelings.

I am working with somebody who has a hardware RAID enclosure (a
Promise Pegasus2, which I think has some proprietary non-mdadm RAID
controller). I am looking at trying to recover data from that array.
The drives are good but have bad blocks. I used ddrescue to get images
of each of those drives.

For assorted paranoid reasons I don't want to touch the original
enclosure or the original drives too much. I am thinking that maybe I
could stick the cloned drives into a Linux box and then try to
reassemble them using mdadm.

My guess is that different hardware/software RAID solutions are not
compatible with each other, but I am not sure. Does anybody have
experience with trying this? Does it ever work?

- Paul

--
Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org