[kwlug-disc] Docker repositories

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Nov 28 15:28:54 EST 2019

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 04:49:53PM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> My first question: Do I want to use the official Ubuntu packages
> (docker.io) or the ones in the Docker repositories (docker-ce)?

In my experience, docker-ce.  It updates more regularly, and it's
easier to get the latest and greatest docker running on your system.

I've used the docker-ce apt repositories, and haven't had trouble with them.

I became a docker-ce repo fan after trying to get docker swarm going,
and having trouble with older versions.  After that, I was done
messing around with old docker.io stuff.  If all you want to do
is run a few containers standalone, then it's fine.  If you want to
start relying on the swarm or its mesh network features, you'll want
the latest. (I use 18.x)  Stay away from 17.x if you want those features.

Good luck,
- Chris