[kwlug-disc] imac4,1 help

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Thu May 30 22:26:38 EDT 2019

So as luck would have it, I find myself attempting to put ubuntu onto an
empty iMac4,1 (early 2006, core duo--not '2').

I can boot an external macbook install usb cd disk, but of course, the
installer bails when it realizes the iMac isn't a macbook. Utilities
work, and I can show hardware inventory. Internal cd no longer works.
AlltThis tells me that I can boot from a usb cd if the magic is right,
and that the iMac is complete and working.

I have googled, created a number of CDRs with various incantations, 32b
(because it seems that the efi boot programme on the 4,1 is 32b),
including Matt Gadient's magic mac fix, even rEFInd on amd64. But
nothing else boots.

Any practical advice for an old iMac4,1?

Gord