[kwlug-disc] Transferring large backup files over the network

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Thu May 30 10:18:35 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-30 9:42 a.m., Jeff Smith wrote:
> I'm going to reluctantly end up starting a flame war, whether I want to or not...
>
> Just found out two minutes ago that BTRFS is being dropped by both RHEL and GParted:

The removal of BTRFS from RedHat was announced months ago, and is
nothing new.. and even as someone who uses and Loves BTRFS, not
something a move I can criticize.. RedHat has to offer Enterprise level
support on their system.  Leaving aside any believe that BTRFS was not
ready for that kind of prime time, they have no BTRFS programmers on
their team.

As for Gparted, if you look at the actual release notes:

 Remove support for btrfs-progs < 3.12

Heck, I would say, they should actually increase that to 4.16.. much has
been fixed in BTRFS-progs since then, some of them potentially fatal
under the right circumstances.